Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It’s been a long day…and all I want is to go home…

I trudge towards my cab and wait to reach the warm comfort of home…

As we traverse through the traffic though a different story unfolds…its not the bed of roses I was praying for…it’s a nightmare tugging at all the negative emotions that I could possibly feel at the end of a long and tiring day…we start moving at a slow pace…it feels like the hands on my watch have stopped ticking only to make a long jump by the time I cross a mere 0.5 km…the jam clears…and my heart leaps! Maybe I’ll still be home soon…euphoria! I smile…today’s going to be different…A sudden break…the police man stops the traffic…the balloon is punctured…All happy emotion fizzles out…and I shift back to the dark and never ending depths of frustration…frustration at the system that takes 30% of my money and makes me rot…I want to scream…I want to pound the vehicle that cut across my path and delayed my crossing the signal…the horns blare around me…echoing the tiny red dots exploding in my brain…echoing my frustration and helplessness at the fact that it is but all that I can do…the hand goes up and he lets us by…we move at the pace of a funeral march…my eyes are glued to the red green and amber dots…as we approach the next signal…and all I know is that I want to go through…I don’t want it to turn red…a silent phrase plays on my lips…’come on…move…move…move’…and…it turns red! Dismay…it feels like a conspiracy sprung upon me by those innocent looking lights…they know I want to be home…but they will show me who’s the boss on the streets…the minutes keep piling on…the distance barely creeps…exhaust smoke rises all around me…higher and higher…engulfing me in the black nothingness…slowly the horns die out…resigned to their fate…slowly accepting the fact that it will be a while before home arrives…

0 comments: