Friday, July 11, 2008

Sifting through the 'Pensieve'


Why is it that a walk down memory lane presents itself at the more innocuous turns…at a moment when u least expect it to come?

Here I am watching a movie featuring a bunch of 20-somethings…a fresh take of a run-of-the-mill story…and I can’t help but remember my college days…

Yes…Jaane tu…is a story of fresh college grads…friends who don’t realize they are in love etc etc…but wt clicked is that the cast made u believe that they are actually college kids just graduating…they made u sit back n go down that road again…living each memory as though it were playing again in front of u…

I remember my first walk through the corridors of BITS, Pilani…the dreary yellowish-cream walls of the bhawans…the cold metal beds in the hostel rooms…the cold almirahs…in the heat of august, everything was cold…devoid of emotion…devoid of warmth…devoid of welcome…for 17 yr old me…it was a demon in the guise of an institute! U just knew that anyone walking looking at the ground had to be a fresher…maybe someone u could trust to be safe with…but if the person coming towards u was checking u out, looking for a hint of hesitation in your walk, then run! Run for your life, for here comes the devil a.k.a. ‘a senior’!

Slowly…’cold’ BITS Pilani became warm…so warm that the thought of going home on those special holidays would make us come up with the most bizarre explanations of why we wanted to stay back at BITS…and then the 4 years just went past…just like that…

In Jaane Tu…the ‘peppy’ lead lady breaks down coz she realizes that the 5 yrs have gone by…she asks ‘Paanch saal kahaan gaye’? Only to get possibly the most classic repartee...’On the phone beta...on the phone’…yup…it made me think of the time (four and a half yrs ago…though it seems like…just now…) when we were walking through those same halls n corridors n wondering…’Four years…where did they go by’? I wouldn’t say on the phone…we were more of a campus where it was C’not…audi…bhawans…gate calls etc…crazy pranks…truth or dare…pealing laughter through the corridors when we were supposed to be in class…midnight parantha meals handed to us over the gate…OASIS…

Yea…maybe we didn’t have a ‘Ranjhod ka Rathore’ mounting a horse to catch a glimpse of his dame…but we did have equally ‘Ranjhod ka Rathore’-ish (?) guys mounting their faithful bicycles…coming towards their place of worship ‘Meera Bhawan’ and the ever reliable watchman saying ‘Room No xyz…Gate Call’!

Yea…maybe we didn’t have a hero run towards the airport to stop his love from boarding the flight to another land…but maybe (I say maybe coz it never happened to me or anyone I know!!!) we had someone riding his cycle to the Nutan bus stand like his life depended on it…to stop his love from boarding the bus to the nearest city! (ok ok…maybe I am exaggerating…but who doesn’t…it feels nice sometimes…)

But the one thing that really made me miss BITS the most…was probably the scene where the guy’s friends throw naughty smiles n go ‘OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO’ when he wants to go for a walk with this girl…yes…that was definitely the same…the same sly smiles…the same ‘OOOOOOOO…good luck…have fun’…just the same…

Yes…sometimes…the most unexpected sources do take us back to some of the best ever moments…

Sometimes we need to search for them…sometimes they are right there…so until I encounter the next one…I’ll keep looking…

6 comments:

Unknown said...

first glance at the pic..beautifully collaged!!! and i knew it had something which wud touch our Pilani days...your blog sure made me senti..and miss those BITS days terribly..the instant memories that came were - cold dec winter walks to c'not at 10pm fr blue moon's special expresso coffee..our 3rd year wing pranks...my bolting almost any door i see and locking in ppl...FD1 memories of lecture halls and those classes...the breakfast together..the knocking on the doors early morning fr bfast calls...and so many more vivid scenes kept unfolding faster and faster frm my Bits memories...

Namrata Mishra said...

I opened it at a time when I was feeling especially low and lost..and I really cant tell you how warm i felt after reading it..I could picture all of us in those chilly winter evenings sitting tucked up in someones room with one of those "lacha sessions' going on..racing to Cnot at 10:55pm for espresso..dressing up for oasis..lets go back...luv Namy(we both hv the same signature)
BTW: linked this to my blog..u can thank me later :D

Namrata said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Namrata said...

This is for Nammy...be original mannn...u echoed whatever i commented...ok fine..another vivid memory...remember the makeup sessions where u used to dutifully follow my steps whether it suited u or not ;)...and me linked zans to my blog on the first day without even giving it a mention :-|

Anu said...

thank u ur highnesses! dont even knw if tht is a word...but ya...i miss BITS too and hope we could go back!

Namrata Mishra said...

lets go back..n yes giddy how cud I leave out the part abt ur being firmly glued to the mirrors in every block [:P]..n me locking u in whenver I had a morning class [:D]